Saturday, August 6, 2011

I've caught the spinning bug!

I always knew i wanted to learn to spin someday. The complete process from animal to yarn to finished project has always intrigued me. I guess I didn't realize that spinning could be portable and really inexpensive to start.
I stopped in at a well-hidden LYS recently that specializes in spinning and weaving. I picked up a drop-spindle and fiber for less than $40!
Thanks to youtube and video podcasters I was able to get going on my own. Here is what I accomplished so far..
My first handspun!
From left to right, my spinning has progressed significantly.

spin 1 is not very consistent with varying degrees of thickness from fingering to bulky.

Spin 2 is more consistent but still has some thick, thin areas. Seems to be sport to worsted weight.

Spin 3 became thinner towards the end.

The fiber is corridale wool and it was white but i had to start with color so before spinning i used wilton cake dyes in the microwave so the colors may be unusual but this was my first try at that, as well.

The undyed wool seemed to spin the easiest, maybe i overcooked the fiiber somewhat when dying...

I think I'm getting the hang of it now. Not having to park and draft as much... it seems easier if i pre-draft somewhat. I'm working on my last batch of fiber now and I'm really proud of how it's turning out. It's becoming easier to draft, i just gotta work on getting an even twist.
I would say this is a lace to heavy fingering weight.

These are all singles, now I just need to learn how to ply!



No comments: