Saturday, March 22, 2008

Easter Chick

Another cute Easter goodie is the Easter Chick which hides an egg underneath. So fun for the little ones! My first attempt came out a little small... for this one I used Peaches and Creme cotton and size 5 needles (instead of size 4). I added two rows of ribbing and 2 rows to the head area. The pattern can be found here

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Easter Peeps

Here is a perfect Easter project! This pattern is so cute!!! - and quick too. I knit a couple of these in one evening. I plan on making a bunch more for Easter baskets. You can find the pattern here

I used Caron simply soft and size 5 dpns. I think I might try Crystal Palace Cotton Chenille (white) for the next one. I placed the wings pointing forward so it looks like the chick is waving!

Monday, March 10, 2008

Skeleton Sweater

I'm ready to reveal the skeleton sweater I made for my son, Zady. I started this on 1/28/08, using Leisure Arts booklet # 2996 "The Complete Book of Raglan Sweaters." I got the graph for the skeleton from Kate Buller's "Style Your Own Kids' Knits." I used Caron Simply Soft and size 6 and 8 needles. Because of the placket neck, it was made in pieces, rather than in the round. I thought the seams would drive me crazy, but they weren't sooo bad. I used matress stitch so the seams are nearly invisible. The directions sugested 1x1 rib for the sleeve cuffs and bottom edge but I did garter stitch for 8 rows to match the collar and placket. My son picked out the bone button. The motif was a little tricky because there wasn't large areas of color like you would normally do in intarsia, so there was a lot of stranding on the back, which made a slight bit of puckering. I think the placement of the skeleton worked out well, I was definatley worried about it, because of the placket. Size 6 fits him perfectly! I'm excited how well it turned out - and so is Zady... he's anxious to wear it to school tomorrow.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Knitted Babe Zoe

Here is my first knitted babe - named Zoe. I've been wanting to knit the pirate in the "Dream Toys" book for my son but I don't have all the yarns to make the appropriate costume so I decided to make a practice doll from the "Knitted Babes" book. Well, my son immediately fell in love with her! He calls her the "string arm doll" and named her Zoe (because his name starts with Z.) I knit this doll at a tighter gauge than recommended to get a denser fabric so she came out a little small - which is fine - except now I have to figure out all her clothes on my own because the ones in the book would be way to big. So far, I've only knit her a pair of underwear- so she wouldn't be completely naked. I also need to work on giving her more hair so that when she is being carried around, she doesn't look like she has a mohawk. I used sportweight cotton this time but I think in the future I would use wool, or a wool blend.

Here is what she looked like before I sewed her together...