Sunday, December 20, 2009

My First Taste of Dyeing with Kool-Aid


I've been knitting away on some holiday scarves. One of the patterns I was curious too see in a lighter weight yarn so I did a swatch with Knitpicks "Palette" - a fingering weight wool. I then had a chance to use my new blocking mats from Knitpicks. The result was beautiful. Well, I don't usually knit with white, and was itching to play with some color. For some strange reason, we had some orange Kool-Aid packages - even though we don't drink Kool-Aid... So I wound up two balls loosely and threw them in the microwave. The effect was vary ... variegated. I let them dry a bit and then rewound them and redyed them. I love how it came out the second time.


I'm going to enjoy knitting a lightweight scarf with this variegated Oranges & Cream color. Of course I couldn't wait to knit with it so I started off the same as the white swatch, and you can really see the difference blocking can make. Now it's back to holiday gift knitting...

No comments: